Saturday, January 12, 2013

Landings


I received this card from a friend yesterday.  My fist thought was, "Yes.  I had every intention of landing on my feet when I moved to Oregon in 2008, but instead I fell on my ass."  

I moved from Colorado to be closer to family. I was confident I would find the perfect just-for-me job to support myself as I pursued my new career as an artist.  It didn't dawn on me, until I was neck deep in it, that the recession could slow me down a bit.  In regard to finding that perfect just-for-me job my life as I knew it came to a screeching halt.  I've lost track of how many jobs I've applied for, and how I've had to drastically lower my job-search standards over the past four years.  The people who did take the time to respond to my resume told me I was "over qualified," or "your skills don't match what we're looking for."  Well now, after four years of what I clearly perceived as rejection  - - one after another - - my self-esteem has taken a nose-dive.  It's crashed and burned.  

I gave myself all of the usual pep talks.  I created positive and uplifting vision boards, and I tried to keep conversations and email with friends focused only on the good things happening in my life, such as sales of my paintings and getting my artwork into galleries (a topic for another blog).  In our attempts at dream-manifestation and sending out into the universe only the highest and purest vibrations possible we've become a society that only focuses on what's good and right in the world, and in the lives of our friends.  We, as a whole, have chosen to associate with only those who are always positive and upbeat.  Those positive and upbeat friends might very well be stuffing and hiding the struggles they're experiencing,  along with their sometimes dark emotions that they're afraid to utter a word of.  In turn, those of us trying to climb up out of the pits of despair become more and more isolated, and when we attempt to share our fears, and not so cheery feelings, we're met with, "Just think positive thoughts and everything will be okay."  Really?  Try telling that to a homeless person, or to someone one step away from such a fate.

Our social media has become an endless stream of over-the-top positive, sometimes sickening cheery thoughts, and how dare anyone utter even one single word that is anything but.  I've sometimes found myself getting pretty sick of all that cheery goo, which I honestly feel is a cover up, or a mask for quite a few suffering souls who fear to speak their truth for fear of being shunned, or of the manifestion of their fears swallowing them up completely.  I'm one of those who has been hiding behind the very mask I speak of here.  I'm thankful I have friends and family I can be open and candid with.  Even having a support group, I feel pretty isolated in my struggle most of the time. I wonder about those people out there who have also fallen on their ass - - do they have family and friends willing to listen when they feel there's no hope in sight?  Do they also get a little frustrated by the endless pep talks they read on social media?  Do they feel their manifesting powers have all but dried up?


8 comments:

  1. "Our social media has become an endless stream of over-the-top positive, sometimes sickening cheery thoughts, and how dare anyone utter even one single word that is anything but. I've sometimes found myself getting pretty sick of all that cherry goo, which I honestly feel is a cover up, or a mask for quite a few suffering souls who fear to speak their truth for fear of being shunned, or of the manifestion of their fears swallowing them up completely." Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just noticed (and fixed) that little typo, "Cherry goo" should have been (and is now) "Cheery goo." However, the cherry goo might be a little more palatable.

      Delete
  2. Very true and very honest. One of the things I always love about Amanda's posts is that she is honest about not only the good but also the bad and the ugly. And I agree with you about the dubious side aspects of purely positive thinking and projection. I'm not sure how that is healthy for our children either - i think we all need to have some space to allow for and accept the bad, the tough and the challenging.

    There is not much worth in light without darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a whole, we've become fearful of expressing the bad and ugly side of life. There is a tendency to focus solely on the positive, bright and cheery (the "cherry cheery goo").

      It's in the darkness where we truly find ourselves. It's in the tough times we discover who we are at the depth of our soul . . . and we're not always so "pretty" as we trudge through the mire.

      For the longest time I've been pretty timid about sharing this part of my experience, covering it up with fake smile and ultra happy verbiage. Amanda encouraged to go ahead and just spill the truth.

      Thanks for taking the time read and leave a comment.

      Delete
  3. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out that everything isn't cheery, cherry's and such. We MUST recognize this in ourselves and others. Personally, I think people are odd when they don't have a bit of angst when things are going poorly. I think they do; they just don't want to talk about it. It's easier to focus on the positive. But, sharing struggles can help other realize they aren't alone! Thanks for your thoughtful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hesitancy in talking about the difficult times is twofold:
      1. It is a little embarrassing.
      2. We're afraid if we talk about it, therefore bringing attention to it, we might very well manifest more and more of the same.

      Delete
  4. I can see where your beautiful daughter gets her ability to express herself:) First of all, thank you for sharing a little of yourself. This caught me. I relate well to your thoughts here and enjoyed reading the comments and responses as well. I think all of us hide behind that mask in some way or another at times whether we want to admit it or not. Positivity is absolutely projected in social media. Perhaps that's a coping mechanism for many in a less than perfect world. A fantasy life of projected perfection that makes our world feel a little brighter temporarily...an escape from reality....right or wrong....at times I'm annoyed by that but then I do also understand it on many levels....Lots of thought I will mill on here tonight. Enjoyed reading this. Provoked thought in me which is something I LOVE!! Thinking of you Cher as I feel I know you through Amanda's heart without so many words:) On a sidenote, I am curious as to whether you still do custom work. I am very interested in something for my family room. Email jjrrstrand@msn.com for a link to how to go about doing this? Or perhaps just contact me and we can talk specifics etc.

    ReplyDelete